Monthly Archives: April 2019

Mounties ask Moncton residents for evidence in shootings investigation

The New Brunswick RCMP is asking anybody with photos or videos connected to a shooting rampage in Moncton that left three Mounties dead to submit them as evidence.

A special website has been set up where people can upload any digital recordings that may help in the investigation.

Story continues below

HangZhou Night Net

MORE INFO: Visit the  RCMP page to submit photo and video files

In a release, the RCMP says the site is designed to make it easier for eyewitnesses to come forward, and that any evidence could “greatly assist” investigators.

The Mounties are especially interested in photos or videos from citizens who were under lockdown within the search zone in Moncton’s north end.

Officers plan to canvass every home in the lockdown zone, and have already made more than 1,500 inquiries in the neighbourhood.

Police have already received hundreds of tips, and are asking residents in the area to search their properties for evidence. If anything is found, residents are asked not to touch or disturb the article and contact Codiac Regional RCMP at 506-857-2400.

On Tuesday, police and members of the public filled a hockey arena in Moncton for the regimental funeral of constables Dave Ross, Douglas Larche, and Fabrice Gevaudan.

Ross, Larche and Gevaudan were gunned down on June 4 after responding to a report of a man with firearms in a residential neighbourhood in the northwest area of Moncton.

READ MORE: 13-year-old musician pens song honouring fallen RCMP officers

The shootings and the ensuing 30-hour manhunt for the alleged killer brought the city of 69,000 to a standstill until an arrest was made just after midnight on June 6.

Two other officers – constables Eric Dubois and Darlene Goguen – were wounded and released from hospital.

Justin Bourque, 24, of Moncton is facing three charges of first-degree murder and two counts of attempted murder. He is scheduled to be in provincial court July 3.

With files from The Canadian Press

read more »

Posted in 杭州夜生活 | Comments Off on Mounties ask Moncton residents for evidence in shootings investigation

Darryl Hickie commits to staying on as Prince Albert MLA

PRINCE ALBERT, Sask. – A Saskatchewan member of the legislature who came under fire earlier this week for working for the Prince Albert police force will continue to serve his constituents.

Darryl Hickie announced in April that he would not run again in the Prince Albert Carlton riding and would return to his old job as a police officer in the northern Saskatchewan city.

Story continues below

HangZhou Night Net

Related

  • Provincial politician also works as police officer: Saskatchewan NDP

  • Former Saskatchewan corrections minister leaving politics

He then started his requalification and training to return to the force.

In a statement from the Saskatchewan Party on Friday morning, Hickie said he has now completed that process and will commit his time to serving as a member of the legislature.

“Just to be clear, I will continue to serve as MLA until the time of the next election and until then, I will not be doing any further work for the Prince Albert Police Service,” said Hickie in the release.

“At that time, I will move from serving the people of Prince Albert as their MLA to serving and protecting the people of Prince Albert as a police officer.”

The Opposition NDP raised the issue after people raised concerns about Hickie spotted carrying out investigations.

They said people were uncomfortable a politician may be conducting investigations involving his own constituents.

Premier Brad Wall said he was okay with Hickie returning to his old job only for retraining and recertification and that Hickie would step down if he decided to return to active duty at the end of retraining.

Hickie has represented the constituency of Prince Albert Carlton since 2007. He served as minister for corrections, public safety and policing from 2007 to 2009 and most recently was tasked with leading an all-party committee on improving traffic safety.

With files from The Canadian Press

read more »

Posted in 杭州夜生活 | Comments Off on Darryl Hickie commits to staying on as Prince Albert MLA

UN warns of war crimes, atrocities in Iraq – National

WATCH: The U.S. has now ruled out sending troops to help Iraq deal with Sunni militants, who have captured more towns and are moving closer to Baghdad, but Iran says it will get involved. The situation is a concern for the stability of the region and it’s also going to have an impact at the gas pumps.

GENEVA – With Islamic insurgents pushing toward Baghdad, the U.N.’s top human rights official expressed “extreme alarm” Friday at reports of war crimes.

Story continues below

HangZhou Night Net

Related

  • Iraqi Shiite cleric urges citizens to defend country

U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay warned of “murder of all kinds” and other war crimes in the fast-deteriorating Iraqi war zone.

In a first estimate of the number of killed and wounded in the area, her office said the number of killed may run into the hundreds and the number of wounded could approach 1,000.

Pillay also shed some light on the brutalities occurring in Iraq, saying her office had received reports of militants rounding up and killing Iraqi army soldiers and 17 civilians in a single street in Mosul.

Her office said it has also learned of summary executions, rape, extrajudicial and reprisal killings, and about civilians being shelled as fighters from the al-Qaida-inspired Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant overran a succession of major cities earlier in the week.

Deeply disturbing, she said, are reports that the fighters, including prisoners they had released from jails in Mosul and provided with arms, have been actively seeking out and sometimes killing soldiers, police and others. She said victims also included civilians, who the fighters believe are associated with Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki’s government.

WATCH: President Obama says he will be weighing options for how to assist Iraq’s security forces, in the face of what he described as “significant gains” by insurgents

Pillay warned those fighting to abide by international law, which requires human treatment of members of armed forces who have laid down their arms. She also stressed that “murder of all kinds, mutilation, cruel treatment and torture constitute war crimes.”

“I am extremely concerned about the acute vulnerability of civilians caught in the cross-fire, or targeted in direct attacks by armed groups, or trapped in areas under the control of ISIL and their allies,” Pillay said.

“And I am especially concerned about the risk to vulnerable groups, minorities, women and children,” she said. “There will be particular scrutiny of the conduct of ISIL, given their well-documented record of committing grave international crimes in Syria.”

A U.N. commission investigating human rights abuses in Syria said that the fighters were committing crimes against humanity and other violations in the Syrian provinces of Raqqa, Idlib and Aleppo as recently as March.

Sunni fighters with ISIL have captured large swaths of territory in Iraq and Syria, aiming to create an Islamic emirate spanning both sides of the border.

©2014The Canadian Press

read more »

Posted in 杭州夜生活 | Comments Off on UN warns of war crimes, atrocities in Iraq – National

Kelowna residents deem road changes unsafe

KELOWNA – Plans to widen a main road in the old Glenmore area of Kelowna are being met with a lot of opposition from area residents.

The city is planning to widen Clifton Road between Clement and Lambert Avenue from two lanes to four this summer.

But many residents call the project dangerous and ill conceived.

Story continues below

HangZhou Night Net

One of the issues locals are concerned with is that left turns onto Clifton will only be allowed at controlled  intersections.  That means drivers coming from side roads will have to turn right and make a lengthy detour to get back down to Clement.

Local residents say not only will this be inconvenient but it will increase traffic on quiet streets throughout the neighborhood as drivers take short cuts to get onto Clement.

Residents say a new development going up on the corner of Clifton and Clement will only add to the traffic congestion in the area.

The city held an open house last night to show residents the design plans.  It brought out many residents who wanted to express their concerns to city staff.

One of the other concerns residents have is the lack of controlled crosswalks across a busy Clifton Road.  They say the design plans need more crosswalks.

“We have children that live on either side of the street and have to cross there every day and four lanes of traffic to negotiate is frightening,” says one resident.

City staffers are collecting feedback from residents for consideration but admit they won’t be making every change that’s been suggested.

“We take the information here and then we rank it and look at different options what we can do to help but some changes will be made, some changes won’t.  That is just the nature of these sessions,” says City of Kelowna’s Purvez Irani.

The city hopes to start construction in August.

read more »

Posted in 杭州夜生活 | Comments Off on Kelowna residents deem road changes unsafe

P.F. Chang’s confirms credit and debit card breach – National

NEW YORK – P.F. Chang’s confirmed Friday that data from credit and debit cards used at its restaurants was stolen.

The company learned about the security breach on Tuesday from the U.S. Secret Service and began investigating the breach with the agency and a team of forensics experts.

While it knows that customers were exposed, it doesn’t know how many, when it happened, or which restaurants were affected.

Story continues below

HangZhou Night Net

The company is working with credit card companies to determine which cards may have been affected.

READ MORE: Target confirms some Canadian shoppers had info stolen

All P.F. Chang’s restaurants are now using manual credit card imprinting devices to process card payments while the investigation continues. There are 209 P.F. Chang’s restaurants around the U.S. There are three Canadian locations.

It is unclear if Canadian consumers were affected by the breach.

For now, the company is asking customers to monitor their credit and bank accounts and report any fraudulent activity to their card companies. It also launched a website to keep people updated on the investigation and answer questions.

P.F. Chang’s China Bistro Inc., based in Scottsdale, Arizona, owns its namesake restaurants and Pei Wei Asian Diners. The company was taken private in 2012 by Centerbridge partners LP for about $1.1 billion.

A wave of data breaches at other major U.S. corporations is putting consumes on alert and raising awareness about how vulnerable the system is.

Late last year, thieves stole 40 million credit and debit card numbers from customers shopping at Target Corp. stores. Personal information of about 70 million Target customers was also taken. Other companies, such as Neiman Marcus, Sally Beauty Holdings Inc. and Michaels Stores Inc., have also revealed breaches of their systems.

©2014The Canadian Press

read more »

Posted in 杭州夜生活 | Comments Off on P.F. Chang’s confirms credit and debit card breach – National